Austin Homebrew Paulaners Hef Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Has anyone made this recipe? I just did exactly as the recipe called for. Used Wyeast German Wheat ( strange for a Hef recipe). It tastes nothing like Paulaners and has no head retention. Any thoughts?

I haven't tried Paulaner's HW in a long while, but my secret weapon for HW is Wyeast Weihenstepan(sp?) yeast. it tastes like Franziskanner's HW dead on. IIRC Paulaner and Franz. are similar.
6lb wheat
6lb 2-row and
1oz Hallertauer(60mins of boil)
yeast above (for 5 gallons)
it's really that simple.
not sure if you used their extract, PM or AG recipe. I have an extract version of this if you need it. HTH.

It was the AG recipe. I thought it was strange to not use the HW yeast, and made the mistake of following their recipe.

When I've had it draft, Paulaner Hefe did have a tart finish, like you get with Wy3333.

For my Hefe's, I use Wy3068. Used it Saturday. Makes a tasty brew.

:ban:

How about the lack of head retention? I primed it with the sugar pack that Austin Homebrew Supply sent me. It forms large bubbles that disappear within seconds. I hand wash my beer glasses, so I don't think they are contaminated by anything like the dishwasher soap.

Latest posts

Back