APA planned for first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Here's what I plan to brew for my first AG batch, using batch sparging...

Beer: Columbus APA (AG) Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color:
12 HCU (~8 SRM)
Bitterness: 41 IBU
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013
Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)
Water: 1 tsp gypsum (divided between strike water and sparge water)
Grain: 10 lb. American 2-row
8 oz. German Vienna
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
Mash: 70% efficiency
mash 60 minutes at 152 in approx 13.625 qts water.

Batch Sparge w/ 4.8 qts at 180 1st batch; 3.5 gal second batch
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.040 7 gallons
1 tsp irish moss at 15 min.
Hops: .33 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 90 min.)
.33 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 2 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (aroma)
Yeast: WLP 001 California
Log: Dry hop .5 oz columbus. (= "aroma hops" in spreadsheet).
Carbonation: 4.8-5 oz corn sugar

This web page generated by The Beer Recipator.

If I come out way below the estimated 70%, I'll just add some DME. (I calculated once that 2 oz. DME adds one gravity point to a 5.5 gallon batch.)

I have a couple wheat beers in mind for summer, but I wanted to be smart and start with a 100% barley beer. The grain bill is influenced by what I have on hand and wanting a slightly roasted, not too carmelly flavor.

Thoughts?

Looks really good to me! The grain bill is a bit unusual for an APA, but there's nothing wrong with that and it looks tasty. A lot of APA's are 2-row + crystal, and maybe Munich or a little wheat. I think you'll be happy with it, and especially the Columbus.
:mug:

I wondered about maybe a little wheat for head retention, but it was already in the 80s here this weekend: by the time this is ready, it's going to be full-on lawnmower season and beer wont last long enough in the glass to worry about head retention.

I wouldn't worry about the wheat, either. I recently read an article on BYO that has me of the opinion that adding adjuncts to a beer for head retention is addressing the symptoms and not the root cause of poor head retention.

Back