Honey Basil Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone brewed the Honey Basil Ale from the book "The Homebrewer's Garden"?

I am really into more natural beers and am in the process of being completely self sufficient in my brews. I have a big batch of Lemon Balm Basil that I want to use up and thought I could use it in this recipe. The AG recipe doesn't call for honey but I'm going to add in half of what they say for the original recipe. I'll post both here, and as well if noone's brewed it I'll let you know how it goes.

1/4lb toasted malt
1/3lb wheat malt
3/4lb 40L British Crystal Malt
3lbs Klages pale Malt
3lbs honey
1lb dutch extra light DME
1oz Williamette 5.3%AA
1/2-3/4oz fresh basil leaves
1/2oz homegrown williamette leaf hops for aroma
Yeastlab A02 American Ale Leaf
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

All Grain

1/2lb toasted malt
1/2lb wheat malt
1lb 40L British Crystal Malt
3lb Klages pale malt
2lb Munich Malt

For this recipe I'll be adding my washed ale yeast, 1.5lbs of honey, and the Lemon Balm Basil.

Im intrigued by this recipie as i have a ton of fresh basil i need to use. What are the hops addition times for this recipe? Is the basil added to the boil or is it used to "dry hop?" I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

Sorry it took so long to get back, I just got back from 16 days in Europe. And yes, I was drinking some of the freshest beer I've had in my life right from the breweries in Munich.

Anyways, there is a 1oz Williamette hop addition at 60 mins AA 5.3%. They call for a 15 minute STEEP of the 1/2 - 3/4oz of basil and the last 1/2oz of Williamette.

I will be brewing this sometime next week and using my first washed yeast. I'll let you know how it goes. I have so much basil I don't know what to do with it. Some of it is also going into infused olive oil, some dried, the rest I don't know. :mug:

Latest posts

Back