WTF Super Low Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I am brewing a anchor steam clone using 75% grain 25% LME. I used the Wyeast California Lager Yeast. Its been sitting in the fermenter for 4 weeks and I just checked the hydrometer and its reading. 1.004.?? My original gravity was dead on for a clone... is this to low?? Never experienced a low FG like this... any info would be great! :)

It's unusual, but not anything too wild. I'd suggest just double checking the hydrometer in some water, to make sure the paper inside didn't slip down and is reading low.

Seems low for a relatively low-attenuating yeast strain, but it's not unheard of. What was your process? I got 85% attenuation from their Munich strain (listed at 70-74%) and I'm sure it's due to coming up cool on a few of my infusion steps and pitching a gigantic starter.

I agree with Yooper to check the hydrometer's accuracy. Also, make sure you are adjusting for temperature.

Never got such low FG with this yeast (1.008 was the lowest iirc), but such things happen. Wyeast is not too accurate with attenuation, in most beers i get higher attenuation than listed.

Just hours ago i racked my Scottish 70/- fermented by Wyeast Scottish Ale to secondary with AA of ~76% (while they list 73%).

Ok so I just checked the hydrometer reading with straight water.. it read .996 so the hydrometer must be somewhat off... Adding +.004 to my FG reading of 1.004 puts in much more in line for a anchor steam FG. I wonder how many of my OG reading has been off in past. This is a recently new hydrometer.. oh well... Thanks everyone! cheers.. I did mash around 149 degrees... I'm a newbie at mashing so they may have lead to a lower OG because of less non-fermentables??

Back