Will all these grains work together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helper

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I will be making a Irish red- IPA and I just have a question about my grain bill since it's a little crazy.

Before I just ask, "Will this work/ is this ok/ what am I doing!?" Let me enlighten you about what I was going for when developing this recipe.

A friend and I were talking about brewing up something and he started talking about some commercial red IPA's and that got me to thinking. I enjoy the malt profile of an Irish red and I thought it would be interesting to correlate those flavors with the hop profile of a IIPA. With this grain bill I was trying to hit a gravity and malt profile that would just reach the cliff of being a double IIPA with a super complex and interesting flavor and character. I wanted a very hoppy, but a somewhat less malty brew than a IIPA's grain bill. I did want to balance some of the hop harshness with the malt character because right now my IBU/GU is over 1.00.

Here's the grain bill:
2-row Pale Malt:...........12#
Carared:......................8oz
Crystal 60:...................4oz
US Chocolate Malt:........4oz
Melanoiden Malt:...........4oz
Flaked oats:.................4oz
Special B:....................4oz
Carafoam:....................4oz

(+/-1 oz roasted barley: I haven't decided on that yet and I don't think my LHBS will be happy that I am ordering all these malts in one bill in such small amounts...especially if I add 1 oz of roasted barely on top of it!)

Here's what I'm wondering:
Will all this 4oz amounts of these specialty malts be lost among one another? i.e. is 4oz enough for the character of the malt to come through?

Will any of these malts 'cancel' one another out in terms of flavor?

Do any of these malts do practically the same thing in terms of flavor, body, and mouth feel? i.e. should I just get rid of one that cancels another out and double the amount of the other?

I'm open to suggestions! I really like to hear what everyone thins about the idea (albeit not new) and all these different malts.

Thanks for your input in advance,
Helper

This looks kinda close the Arrogant Bastard clone I did. It had special B, Aromatic, Melanoiden, and Caramunich (C60) in it, and was wonderfully malty. I'm not sure how much crystal is usually in an Irish Red (I think more scotch ale), but I like it in hoppy red beers.

Back