Birthday Celebration IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Malt characteristics are low. Very strong hop bitterness at the finish.
This was my first AG batch and I got tons of help from you guys here at HBT. It turned out almost perfect. I brewed it for my gf's birthday as she's a total hophead. Also, I went ahead and entered it into Hogtown Brewoff here in FL (first competition as well) and it won 2nd place in the IPA category with a score of 40!!!

:ban:

I miss calculated my deadspace/absorbtion by 0.5 gallons (yeilded 6 gallons) and my boil off by 0.5 gallons (lost 1.5 gallons, yeilding 4.5 gallons post boil). Other than that, the brew went well with no complications. Dry-hopped 1 oz Simcoe in muslin bag for 6 days. Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes, then I fly sparged to 6 gallons with 173 water. Used 5.2 Stabilizer in the mash and sparge water.

Recipe:
11.5 lbs 2-Row
0.5 lbs Carmel 40L
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs German Munich 20L

1 oz Chinook (13.6%) @ 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.6%) @ 45 min
1 oz Chinook (13.6%) @ 40 min
1 oz Centennial (10%) @ 5 min
1 oz Simcoe DH for 6 days

0.1 oz of Super Moss used @ 15 min

The only knock on the recipe is that the hop aroma could have been stronger. It was there, noticeably, but it could have been stronger is all. Other than that, it was incredible and will for sure be a recipe that I brew over and over again!

:mug:

d731bd3d.jpg

7888d18c.jpg

Back