Frozen Kegerator.. Advice??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
So I accidentally left the door to my mini fridge / kegerator open all day and when i noticed it a few minutes ago the back wall of the fridge was a wall of ice.

I immediately turned it up a little bit.. 46 degrees or so, and closed the door.

Will this ice melt with time, or do i need to unplug and actually defrost?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

I would think that if you just closed the door, and set your temp it would only kick on once it went above it's set point. You should be fine.
When you open the door again, be ready for the puddle, put a towel down in there

That's what I was thinking too.. Just didn't want to risk any of my precious kegs freezing, or my fridge breaking

Turn it off let it defrost, I'd pull the kegs and use a hair dryer to help melt quicker. Ice is an insulator Just my advice (I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I did refrigeration repair);)

That happens. I would just let it run and defrost on its own. A shop-vac will make quick work of the water that will collect at the bottom.

From experience, don't try to chip off the ice. Risking hitting or damaging something important isn't worth it. Like John Cusack, just let it fade away.

Back