What your drink of choice says about you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike280Z

Reaction score
"Hey bartender, can I get a....."

1.) Bud Light:

You just graduated college, or are likely to say, "Seriously, you don't got Bud Light?!" ...when I look at you and say, "Sorry man, we don't carry Bud Light." If not, you have 2-5 kids and play in my parents co-ed softball league. Your preferred method of consumption is in a can wrapped up in a foam coozy.

2.) Any Obscure Beer That Odds Are Really Good I Don't Carry:

"Yeah, can I get a Old Thomas IPA?" Odds are good that you're pry a ****** bag with little common sense and a trust fund. Unfortunately the only one that sells it was the store you went to in suburban Ohio, or Old Thomas himself. The people at your job think your a narc and I'm sure your parents wouldn't be tremendously heartbroken if you couldn't make it home for Christmas this year.

3.) Wine

Your either a smart woman or a guy I wanna slap in the face. 98% of the time guys order wine they are trying to showcase their superior intelligence or sommelier level knowledge of the grape variety that was used. There is a good chance you batted 9th in Little League and are considering growing a mustache if not already sporting a fury lip accessory at the moment.

4.) Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye:

Its all in how you order it...

Neat - you like whiskey. That whiskey. If you are invited to a BBQ, your first question is if there will be a full bottle of the stuff you like. If you are told "no" then a stop at the nearest liquor store prior to your attendance is necessary.

Rocks - you have punched at least five guys in the face, have a tattoo honoring someone who passed away, or are a hipster with at least 4 and no more than 8 PBR's in your fridge.

Old Fashion - you have no idea what's in this drink. You hear them ordered when watching Mad Men with your group of buddies who are are also busy not getting laid. Then our lives intersect upon you entering my bar.

Scotch - You are my grandfathers age and have a great story about back in the day. If you are under the age of 35 odds are good that you hate drinking this stuff but really hope everyone heard your order, as to show you are a man. You are also wondering how you can have a Mike's Hard Lemonade delivered to the privacy of the men's bathroom stall so you can shame drink.

Vodka:

The official sprit of loud women, and drop out fraternity guys. Be it a vodka soda, or the Evil Bastard of two part alcoholic drinks...Vodka and Red Bull, they are the evil nectar that fuels your most annoying patrons. Also 100% of exit polls answered by the people vomiting in my bathroom said vodka was their drink of choice.

5.) Gin:

You are English, or if American you enjoy the cocktail culture. There are actually an overwhelming amount of Americans that hate this spirit. It usually goes back to a bad experience when we were in high school and raided our parents liquor cabinet, and the only thing in there was a ****ty bottle of gin. Then we drank it with Sunny D (Thank you Snoop Doggy Dogg) , and a couple hours later got violently ill. This painful memory has now given you a chip on your shoulder for this spirit.

I, as well as a lot of great bartenders prefer to mix proper gin cocktails. When done correctly, it's amazing. So I have a guy that comes in and likes trying new and different cocktails with only one rule...no gin. I have only been making his drinks with gin for the past three years, and he has no idea.

6.) Tequila/Rum

Rum and Coke- That must have been a fake I.D.

Daiquiri - You have seen "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" or own a Jimmy Buffet concert tee shirt.

Patron - You hate tequila, especially because you also ordered it chilled. If you ordered Cafe Patron I'm willing to bet you the joint in my pocket that you have cocaine in yours.

Mezcal - You know your tequila and have a sophisticated pallet. If not, you're ordering it for your buddy because you think my Mezcal has a worm in it and you want to make your buddy puke. You are the guy that can't wait for your friends to pass out at a house party so you can whip out your Sharpie and draw a dick on his face.

7.) and lastly...Water:

You are either one of three:

1.) Responsible and Courteous - The confident dude who has a water with his drinks because he knows how to handle booze correctly. Never the guy to make a scene and usually is the fella with the really hot woman in the bar. Always tosses you a buck for every water you pour him.

2.) Cheep - You're pry going outside my bar every 30 minutes to smoke all your buddies pot because you're broke. So you're thrifty kickin' status has brought you into my bar for an evening of free waters because I guess I'm a hydration philanthropist.

3.) Drunk - You know yer drunk. I know yer drunk. No one in here really thinks yer a designated driver candidate.

"Cheers!" -:mug:

found this as a response online to a terribly written article and laughed and figured others would enjoy as well.

I thought it was pretty funny. I have 2 to add-

Vodka cranberry- Yes she's coming home with you. No, you're not going to like it.

Bloody Mary- It is either a) brunch or you are Abe Vigota.

I guess I have a slap coming to my face. And does a beard count as having a mustache?

Then again, its also been years since I have been in a "bar". Closest thing to a bar recently would be a microbrew or two.

There is a VERY specific mustache wearer here in New York. Knowing almost nothing about NM, I have to assume that most people with beards and mustaches... are dudes with beards and mustaches.

There's a certain set here that wear high-maintenance facialhair almost in mockery of facial hair itself. The guy with just that little soulpatch under his bottom lip is, 80-90% of the time, not to be trusted alone in a room with your cat. Long red beard guy from $5 shirts ads, I am 100% certain, spends time at his parents' "country home" and jokes that his beard is "redneck chic" F that guy. And my personal favorite, the early 20 something with a handlebar mustache. Look at me! Look at me! I'm a frigging tool and I'll cheat on your sister.

There's a certain set here that wear high-maintenance facialhair almost in mockery of facial hair itself. The guy with just that little soulpatch under his bottom lip is, 80-90% of the time, not to be trusted alone in a room with your cat. Long red beard guy from $5 shirts ads, I am 100% certain, spends time at his parents' "country home" and jokes that his beard is "redneck chic" F that guy. And my personal favorite, the early 20 something with a handlebar mustache. Look at me! Look at me! I'm a frigging tool and I'll cheat on your sister.

Every time they get hit by cars on their fancy bikes, I smile inside. ;)

Generalizations are so because they are accurate at least 50% of the time. Those are good enough odds for me until I learn more about the individual in the specific situation.

Here's an actual question for bartenders though. Is it annoying to you if a polite customer has a very specific drink choice that you havent heard of?

I ask because I had a specialty cocktail at one bar with tomato juice, salt, hot sauce and canned Mexican beer, and for some reason the other night I had a craving for them at another seperate bar. The tender was accomodating, but I tipped extra just in case he thought I was being a pest. I'd like to go there again, and would rather not get any "surprises" in my beverage.

Know what would cause hair pulling for me? (almost does as a non-bartender)

having 23 varieties of awesome beer including 6 cask ales, and 90% of people order a michelob ultra.

Call me crazy, but I could not just hold my tongue.

Know what would cause hair pulling for me? (almost does as a non-bartender)

having 23 varieties of awesome beer including 6 cask ales, and 90% of people order a michelob ultra.

Call me crazy, but I could not just hold my tongue.

Sweet jeebus! where are you drinking that has SIX beers on cask?!?! I have seen one or two. But I could spend a whole weekend in a place that has 6.:cross:

I thought it was pretty funny. I have 2 to add-

Vodka cranberry- Yes she's coming home with you. No, you're not going to like it.

Bloody Mary- It is either a) brunch or you are Abe Vigota.

Cape Cods are the best way to drink both vodka and cranberry juice. Isopropyl alcohol is still cheaper.

Not for nothin' but none of the other senior members here post under multiple accounts... I didnt have any reason to say that. None at all.

There is a VERY specific mustache wearer here in New York. Knowing almost nothing about NM, I have to assume that most people with beards and mustaches... are dudes with beards and mustaches.

No high maintenance beard here. Unless "mountain man" is a high maintenance style. :D

Didn't you learn that in the Buffalo Wild Wings thread there is a strict no laughing ass off policy enforced here?

i thought my bringing this up in the ramblings section would give me the benefit of the doubt, but i didnt check to make sure i was allowed to find it amusing first. beginner mistake again on my part for sure:).

I guess I'll be taking a slap in the face too...

If it's not a microbrew, I'll order wine sometimes, but never a glass, always a bottle to split with the wife and or/friends with a meal...and not just any wine, almost always it's from a local vineyard because I love our local wines. Then again we don't have "bars" in VA...all establishments that serve here must also serve food so it's rare that I go out just for a drink.

Only an immature drinker or those with no palate do not appreciate a fine wine with the proper food pairing.

Airborneguy said:
Every time they get hit by cars on their fancy bikes, I smile inside. ;)

As a cyclist that still has scars from cars it's not funny. No matter how stupid the mustache. Sorry, pet peeve.

They ride like a-holes here. There's a war going on in NYC between entitled bicyclists and drivers over the last few years. My opinion doesn't apply to the millions of normal cyclists all over the country, just those like the guy I dealt with last night who think that cutting in and out between 3000lb vehicles is a good idea. A week ago I helped clean up a mess caused by a biker who witnesses said flew through a red light, and screamed at the first car that past him (car had green light). The second car didn't see him. The mess we cleaned up was the biker btw.

Not all cyclists think "share the road" means "get the *#&%! outta my way, I get to do whatever I want regardless of traffic law" .... but you do tend to notice those ones more as they're cutting you off in traffic or trying to run you down in the crosswalk.

Anyway, a little San Francisco flavor:

Tecate (if Hispanic): it's been cold and foggy all summer, why the heck is it sunny and 86 in october?! I need a cold one that won't break the bank.

Tecate (if white): I liked PBR before it was cool. Yes, I am aware of the irony of that statement -- I am being ironically ironic.

Well, I must be a *********, because on the rare occasion I find myself in a bar I always check to see if they have Sierra Nevada. Most of the time they just point at the large selection of ****ty beer that they carry and look at me like I'm stupid. Once in a while I get lucky. I was at a small bar in Alaska a couple years back and they only had two beers, period. Pabst Blue Ribbon, and SNPA. I felt like I had just won the lottery. You've gotta love the simplicity of those two choices.

I will say, grouchy as I can be, that I was surprised by my reaction to something bike-rider related the other day.

Late 20something guy in my neighborhood wearing a derby and riding a unicycle. My first impulse was rage and annoyance.

Here is a guy harming no one, just out for a ride on his stupid stupid one wheeled lookatmewagon, and I feel like he has affronted me by being in my neighborhood.

[/QUOTE] Scotch - You are my grandfathers age and have a great story about back in the day. If you are under the age of 35 odds are good that you hate drinking this stuff but really hope everyone heard your order, as to show you are a man. You are also wondering how you can have a Mike's Hard Lemonade delivered to the privacy of the men's bathroom stall so you can shame drink.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely good Scotch, neat or rarely with a drop of water. I also have over a dozen bottles of Mike's assorted in my fridge with a couple dozen bottles of various ciders. Although my wife will not drink the Scotch, I will drink her cider or Mike's.

I think that like most things this post is funny because a lot of people can relate to something (mines probably the gun and juice part the most) and can also tell that most is over generalized for humor. Also surely Sierra Nevada isn't something most haven't heard of, they sell it in my kcal food lions an Walmart!

I think that like most things this post is funny because a lot of people can relate to something (mines probably the gun and juice part the most) and can also tell that most is over generalized for humor. Also surely Sierra Nevada isn't something most haven't heard of, they sell it in my kcal food lions an Walmart!

How many average Walmart shoppers even look at beer other than their favourite BMC though? ;)

Oh ok, not really a fan of any of em but I will give coors light the distinction of only beer I can drink in 100 weather while exerting myself and have no ill effects. Not sure if being the nearest thing to water that can still get you buzzed is exactly a complement though.

Latest posts

Back