Kegged too early, RDWHAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I kegged my steam lager too early tonight. I usually never check my FG until after I have kegged my beers and clean everything up. I suppose I should start doing it beforehand from now on after seeing that it was only at 1.020!!!

Anywhoo, I just released the force carb'd pressure on the now full keg and put it back in the ferm. chamber in hopes that it will just finish out in the keg if I release the c02 pressure everyday for a week or so.

This will be okay, right?

My experience is they won't put off that much Co2 that late in fermentation so you shouldn't have to worry about releasing to much pressure. Other than that, you'll be fine. Did you cold crash before you kegged?

What kind of relief valve?

I did a lager or two in a keg (with a pull ring valve, not a one time valve) and was either fermenting or carbonating and I didn't have a blowoff tube at the time, and instead would pressure check every so often.

One weekend, I would wake up every few hours as I heard it let off gas somewhat explosively loud through the valve, though I didn't know what it was at the time.

It turned out pretty well, and those that tasted it thought it was just a standard lager. It was made with sorghum.

I'd just let it finish up in the keg. Can hit the relief valve now and then if you want but like Double D said their shouldn't be too much more CO2 made at that stage.

Latest posts

Back