kegging then transfer to bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigban

Reaction score
hey guys, new homebrewer here. havnt even really started yet im just trying to get all information before i start up my first batch. ive been doing research and realized im to impatient for the beer to carbonate in bottles...thats just to tempting and such a tease. And from what i understand, using kegs can force-carbonate the beer so it will be done in days instead of weeks.

ive read

1.apply 30psi to the keg
2. purge then reapply
3.let it set for 24-48 hours
4.purge, shake or roll keg
5.apply 12psi
6.serve

am i wrong or am i wrong? i think im wrong

and let say if i want to bottle the beers with a beergun, would i put the serving psi to 3.5psi and then bottle it with the gun and cap it? and be able to drink it when ever i want, or does it have to settle?

please help out this noob!

You'll find that conditioning is still a factor in making good beer regardless of whether you bottle OR keg. And that many kegging brewers who are serious about how their beer should taste, wait just as long to let their kegs condition as those who bottle.

It's usually only the greenest of bottlers who rush the process and end up drinking green beer.

We've had a couple threads lately with folks thinking the same thing, and here's a couple answers.

Kegging is convenient but no matter how soon you can carbonated it, green beer is green beer and doesn't taste that good. Three weeks in the bottle does more than just carbonate, it ages the beer.

No, this was discussed at length a couple weeks ago, but the short answer is, forced carbonation is not a replacement for conditioning.

+1 Just cause it has bubbles, doesn't mean it's ready to drink.

If you want to understand the conditioning process, regardless of the container, read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...Although I am talking about bottles, the sectioning on conditioning is really the same....it's about the flavors coming together.

well thats rather dissapointing! guess i still gotta wait, but i'd rather keg then bottle.

so lets say after it ages and carbonates, was i correct about purging the tank then setting it to 3.5psi to use then beer gun? and was my 1-6process sorta correct

Back