Kal Clone not powering on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuttheheeck

Reaction score
Hi all. Building a panel similar to Kals. No timer, meters or shunt.

I have not had any success when first plugging in the panel. I am using a 50a GFI spa panel running off a 30a dryer plug.

I know contactor coils are activated with current, but does it matter which side receives the hot / neutral?

I will re-check all my connections tomorrow, maybe strip the wires a little more where they are in screw conections.

Itching to see the LED and PIDs light up

First, make sure all of your connections are solid. It can be a pain in the ass, but do this first.

Second, use your mulit-meter to trace the power from the inlet to the next component (distribution blocks>?) then breakers, then SSR's and contactors, switches, etc.

If the components are still not powering up and you're sure your schematic is correct, compare the actual wiring with the schematic. Cross through each circuit on the schematic as you check it so you don't lose track of where you are in the process.

A good picture of the inside of your panel would be helpful and a schematic of it would be priceless.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

wuttheheeck said:
I know contactor coils are activated with current, but does it matter which side receives the hot / neutral?

Nope, polarity typically is not an issue with contactors (unless you see something that says LOAD on it).

Back