First mini mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAtoday

Reaction score
Im going to do my first mini mash in a few days and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm going for a rye IPA, 2.5 gallon batch

Going to use 1/2 lb of crystal malt and 1/2 lb of flaked rye, in 6 quarts of water.

Will this work?

I'll later be adding 1.5 lbs of DME for the hop boil, and 2 lbs of LME at the end

You might want some 2 row in there. Most of the amylase enzymes have been denatured in the crystal, and corn has none. Although, I bet the beer would be fine even if you just steeped the flavor out.

My new book has a section on quick brewing that isn't on my blog. You might find it interesting. It will be published next month.

You might want some 2 row in there. Most of the amylase enzymes have been denatured in the crystal, and corn has none. Although, I bet the beer would be fine even if you just steeped the flavor out.

My new book has a section on quick brewing that isn't on my blog. You might find it interesting. It will be published next month.

Are you independently publishing or can I get it on Amazon? Link please.

It will be available on Amazon. It's in the final stages of publication and will be available some time next month. I'll be posting links here and on my blog when it is released.

Woodland, I read somewhere that steeping flaked rye is bad and can introduce bacteria into the wort, something to do with the starches?

If I was going to add 2 row, how much would I add, 1/2 lb?

I dont want to add to much grain as I'm using 3.5 lbs of extract, maybe thats not a bad thing though...

Latest posts

Back