How long will crushed grains last in shelf-life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have a bunch of recipes from Brewmaster's Warehouse. He crushed them like I asked, but them in a Ziploc bag, and then an airtight vacuumed bag. I am storing them all in a Rubbermaid garbage can with a lid on it in a basement that ranges from 55-67 over the next three months. The temperature swings are gradual and I have a dehumidifier in the basement.

I think Ed once told me his grain is can be considered good for about month, though i wouldn't be surprised if it's OK a little past that.

Generally speaking, I think that once a grain is crushed, if you take care of it, you can still use it for awhile ... it just looses some of it's potential.

I've brewed with grains that were crushed and sealed and kept in the freezer for 1-2 months, and they tasted fine, but my final gravity came up a little short from the original computation.

Keeping them in the basement, sealed and rather cool, I'd make sure you use them up within a month or two.

cheers

~r~

Generally speaking, I think that once a grain is crushed, if you take care of it, you can still use it for awhile ... it just looses some of it's potential.

I've brewed with grains that were crushed and sealed and kept in the freezer for 1-2 months, and they tasted fine, but my final gravity came up a little short from the original computation.

Keeping them in the basement, sealed and rather cool, I'd make sure you use them up within a month or two.~r~

cheers
Thanks,

That will work, as I now know the formula to make up for a low pre-boil gravity with DME if that happens. I'll plan on two months.

Thanks,
Bill

Opps, I bought three PM kits in July and still have one in the fridge until I get the schedule set to brew it up. It is just a Mini mash so no "real" grains.

Opps, I bought three PM kits in July and still have one in the fridge until I get the schedule set to brew it up. It is just a Mini mash so no "real" grains.

AFAIK in a minimash you do have "real grains". just less of them. maybe 3-4 pounds of 2row instead of 9 or 10.

still, you have real grains.

Latest posts

Back