Looking for good examples of various mouthfeel characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I recently read the mouthfeel article in the Aug./Sept. edition of BYO . After reeding the article I thought it would be a good idea for my local brew club to do some tasting to get familiar with different types or descripitons of mouthfeel. The only problem with this is that I don't know of any good examples that are easily available. The article mentioned a few beers do compare with but alot of these beers are beers that I have never had or had acces to. So I'm looking for some suggestions on beers that have strong charteristics of different types of mouthfeel. I live in SW Oregon so I have some options, but I don't know of any good examples to try so I am looking for suggestions.

Um, try a blonde/cream ale compared to an oatmeal stout. :D Try going to the BJCP website and look at some of the style descriptions, they also include mouthfeel. From there maybe go to Beer Advocate - Respect Beer. to search for commercial brands of the styles you looked at.

The most obvious demonstration would be to brew duplicate batches of your favorite brew. The first would mash at 150, and the second at 158. You would be amazed. Compare a store bought Force Carbonated vs Natural Carbonation vs Cask Conditioned vs Nitro.

It's not always as easy as doing two different mash temps because you might construe the hot mash (higher FG) as simply be sweet or cloying if you don't acheive the same balance as the lower FG beer. You'd get closer to that goal by slightly increasing the IBU on the hotter mashed beer.

Back