Cannot get same head from bottles as keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
I've brewed 8-10 batches that i've bottled and 3-4 that I've kegged. Bottles are more or less hit/miss with getting a nice head that produces nice lacing but none are as nice as my kegged beers. The beers I've kegged, which I've also bottled, have great head and lace nicely. Typical brewing style is AG BIAB using tired and true recipes on here.

I know to be careful with beer glasses as they can ruin head but I use the same glasses for each. Could I be doing something wrong when bottling? I wash with oxiclean and sanitize with idophor...the bottles typically do not try 100% before bottling could that be a cause? I use bottling calculators and corn sugar when priming.

I realize how dangerous many of my senteces can be to some on here lol :tank:

I should also note I've read the bottling thread and do allow 3+ weeks before drinking.

Theoretically a well made bottled beer can have great head and lacing. But I also agree that my kegged beers have better head retention. I would maybe try a 6 wk bottle conditioned beer and see if it was truly at max co2 level. We tend to rush things in bottles and having good carbonation visually may be far from tje right level you primed for. The other thing you could do is add more carapils or wheat malt or flaked barley to bump up the chance for better head. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back