Hops won't sprout up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
I live in NY State and bought some cascades last year. They did fine although I didn't get any hops. They are in a relatively small 15 inch pot. I've been watering them using Miracle Grow and they still haven't sprouted. I left them outside in the pot all winter? Should I give up and buy another rhizome or is there still hope?

Any type should grow anywhere, thats the good thing about hops. They do require the soil to be prepped a season in advance though. Youre on the right track, just start early and stick with it.

I would stop the miracle grow until they have sprouted. My hops are gang busters and I don't do any winter prep. However mine are in the ground. How did you store your potted hops over the winter? They can tolerate the winters, but they can get damaged from extreme cold with out protection.

If you plan on the potted method in the future put the plant next to the house. Keep them covered with a pile of mulch, leaves or other material that can offer some protection. A 15 inch pot is going to limit the size of the rhizome too. Get a bigger pot or plant them in the ground if you can. They are most likely root bound too.

There's a possibility they could have died over the winter. A 15" pot above ground is not ideal protection against ice. It's exposed on all sides and could potentially freeze through completely. When they're in the ground, the roots are able to grow below the frost line. I don't mean to be negative, but just a thought...
I also live in NY and we had quite a winter!

Hey I had some in 6" pots for 3 years with total abuse,finally used them last year.Dump the pot out to see if u have any nodes

said it once ill say it again freezing is freezing. should not matter if its in a pot or in the ground. it freezez better part of 2.5' so any hops in the ground( where the base is only 1-6" below the surface) freeze just as solid as those in the pot. only difference is how much water was in the pot when it froze the extra water trapped in there could shrapnel the rhizome

Back