Need a Lager Recipe for using up the rest of my ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blisterman

Reaction score
Won't be brewing for a while, but I've still got some ingredients left over, which I want to use up.

At the moment, I have a Samuel Adams clone in primary using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast, which I'll pitch into the cake of.

I have two 3lb cans of Light LME and about 2oz each of 6.8% Cascade Hops and 7.9% Northdown hops.

The hops seem more suited for ales than lagers, but I'm willing to experiment. Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm thinking

Boil the two cans of LME
60 mins 3/4 oz Northdown
10 mins .25 oz Cascade

Leaving me with a IBU of 23, about right for a Bavarian Lager, and hopefully still a nice hint of cascade hop aroma, which I think would suit a light lager pretty nicely.

I'm still pretty new to just putting together recipes and getting everything right.

But looking at what you are proposing should probably work out for you just fine. You could adjust the hops times to change up the IBU's more or less but that's not a "huge" difference.

Are you willing to get more ingredients to add to it or you just want to use what you have left? If it is the latter, I'd just go with this as it seems pretty sure fire. If not, you could always add in some spice in the fermenter or in the boil. Some orange peel maybe?

I don't know, just tossing out some ideas here for ya.

Back