4 Lessons Learned...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
I learned 3 important lessons this past weekend.

1st lesson: Just because a few bottles didn't carb up, doesn't mean that none of them did.

2nd lesson: Apple wine doesn't carb up the same as champagne.

3rd lesson: NEVER prime apple wine for 4 volumes.

4th lesson: ALWAYS open home made sparkling wines over the sink.

Yep, you guessed correctly. I opened 2 more bottles of what was supposed to be sparkling apple wine (opened 1st bottle about a week ago) & it was supposed to be carbed up like champagne; or so I thought. 1st bottle was completely still, tasty, but still. 2nd bottle had a hint of carbonation, but that was it.

Feeling a bit disappointed & thinking it was probably safe, I opened a 3rd bottle over the kitchen counter, but not by the sink. It was a gyser & a half! I think there was about 8oz of liquid left in the 750ml bottle; the rest went, well, EVERYWHERE. My kitchen still reeks of apple wine. I'm going to have to move the fridge and the stove to get the rest of it cleaned up. At least now I know what to expect from the remaining 2 cases.

I hope everybody can have a laugh & learn from my mistake. :eek: Regards, GF.

I feel your pain! I did the same but with home brewed rootbeer- two bottles were only mildly carbed and the last one gushed rootbeer alllllllllll over the kitchen:eek: and the ceiling and floor and the open cupboard. At least the kitchen smelt yummy for a week, but man, it took weeks to finally get all the small sticky spots washed up!

Back