We have HHHOOOOOPPPPSSS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieT

Reaction score
These weeds have well exceeded my expectations.. These are FIRST YEAR CONTAINER GROWN hops (Cascade and Northern Brewer)... Planted 3-22-2009.. The cascade is ~16ft tall and the NB is ~12ft.. The NB is LOADED with baby hops and the cascade is covered up with flowers.. I never expected to see even a single hop cone this year..:rockin:

Hops_Cone.JPG

These weeds have well exceeded my expectations.. These are FIRST YEAR CONTAINER GROWN hops (Cascade and Northern Brewer)... Planted 3-22-2009.. The cascade is ~16ft tall and the NB is ~12ft.. The NB is LOADED with baby hops and the cascade is covered up with flowers.. I never expected to see even a single hop cone this year..:rockin:

Hops_Cone.JPG

Congrats! Your a lucky man. My second year NB havent grown too much and my Tet is starting to wake up. My Cascade is growing like crazy. Enjoy brewing with them once their ready!

My first year cascades were hit by a mower and are now 4 inches high.. :( No luck for flowers this year LMAO... But congrats on those pretty little ladies, may they bring you years of love...:D

Congrats!

I have some first year container-grown Cascades (and Chinook) too, and your post prompted me to go out and check on them. Are these the beginnings of cones? I wouldn't have expected it this soon!

c45b3e11.jpg

Looks like the beginning of side arms... Mine did that about a week and a half ago.. then from the branches came the flowers and overnight the cones..

Well I am jelous that is crazy for first year at least from what I know.

Were they jumbo rhizomes or did a friend give you a big one?

They were just standard run of the mill rhizomes (about 5" long and 1/2" diameter) with few noticable buds.. Got them from my LHBS.. Nothing special at all..

I have been building a monster compost pile for them for next year from spent grain and grass clippings.. After the insane performance this year I am expecting great things next year..

Really did nothing special.. Miracle Grow potting soil alone until they trained.. then added about 3" of yard compost on top and they took off like crazy.. They get watered for 10 minutes each morning from the yard sprinklers and about once a week I add a gallon or so of water if the soil is starting to dry out underneath the compost..

The I started sprinkling a double dose of miracle grow shake beads on them and repeat when the last dose was no longer visible on the surface of the compost..

For a while they were growing 6" a day until they started branching, now they just seem to be bushing up and developing side arms, flowers, and cones with little visible vertical growth anymore..

Our weather has been VERY warm here in TX with highs from 80-95 for the last month or so..

They like something...

JT

Back