Starter smells like green apple. Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
Began a 4L starter of Cal Ale (best by 8/6/11) with two vials on Wednesday. Chilled and decanted and stepped it up to 5L more last night. The step took off fast and had my first starter blowoff, though not bad, just raised the foil an inch or two. I did panic and sanitized a blowoff tube (too small, didn't need it), added a drop of Fermcap-S, and it dropped down.

This morning it smelled like green apples. I know I am just growing yeast, not making beer, but I had to taste some to make sure it wasn't sour. I poured some off, and chilled the rest for tomorrow's brew day.

It doesn't taste sour, just green apples. I have done many starters, some with many steps. I just have never started Cal Ale before, somehow.

Do I need to start over?

It's just acetaldehyde. As long as it doesn't smell like a dead squirrel left in a shed all summer, you should be fine.

Back