How Does This Look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weberju

Reaction score
I'm brewing tomorrow. I was wondering a few things about my recipe. Here is what I have so far:

Grain:
13lbs pale 2-row
1lb crystal 60L
1lb carapils
maybe some aromatic

Hops:
undetermined: I have Cascade, Willamette, Kent Goldings, Saaz, and Styrian Gold on hand.

Yeast:
White Labs California Als Yeast (Starter Bubbling as we speak)

Here are my questions:
1) My previous batches have had little aroma (maltiness/hoppiness). I have never used aromatic malt before. Will this help? and how much should I use? I was thinking around 1/2lb.
2) What do you guys think is a good hop schedule to use? A common hop schedule for me is:
1.5oz Cascade bitter
1.5oz Cascade flavor
1.5oz Kent Goldings aroma
Since I typically get less aroma than I want, what should I do? Should I just use more aroma hops, or would the Styrian Gold be a better aroma hop (I've never used it before)? Also, how much should I be using for aroma?
Thanks alot. Justin.

What are you going for, a pale ale or IPA?

If a pale ale, I think Willamette and cascade make a nice combo--I'd do 1.5-2 oz willamette as the bittering hop and then add 1/2 ounces of cascade at 20/10/0 for flavor and aroma if you are looking to get some more hop aroma. Also, you can dry hop up to an ounce depending on just how much aroma you want. I have also done beers with all Willamette as well, but it does not quite have the aroma strength of cascade (the fat tire I am curerntly drinking is all Willamette). I tis still nice, just more subtle. I typically don't use cascade for bittering, but this is all jsut personal preference.

If you want a more english style ale, use the goldings.

1/2-1 lb of aromatic will give you more maltiness, but you may want to cut back on your overall grain bill if you add a pound. 15 lbs is a lot of grain and is going to be a pretty strong, high gravity ale.

Jeff

i would ditch the carapils and add 3/4 lb of victory, maybe get a lower crystal like 20, (victory is kind of dark) victory will give you a nice malt background...

just dry hop for aroma, styrian gold is a fuggles off shoot, there all good, ek gold, fuggles, try willamette its an american fuggles...or mix and match for complexity like 1/2 ounce willamette and 1/2 ounce styrian for dry hop...

i would bitter with saaz, then aroma with any combo of the english hops, and ditch the cascades...i usually do 60 min, 30 min, 10 min, 0 min, dryhop.

Thanks alot. I'm just about to dough in. I think I will try the 1/2lb of aroma. And I will go with 1.5oz willamette for bittering, and the rest cascade. Thanks alot for your help.
And, I'm not really sure what I'm going for. I kind of just mess around. It always turns out great, so I think I can't really go wrong.

Back