First time using burton water salts, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjackson82

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Sierra Nevada torpedo clone extract recipe and my LBS recommended using the burton water salts. The pack says add before boil for 5g batch. I understand this treats the water but, i would think my "make up" water should be treated as well? Or do I just add it to my 2.5g and not worry about treating my additional boiled water to make my 5g?

Bump... I should've stated that I am boiling my "make up" water at this very moment so any advice now would be appreciated!

Depends on your brewing method. The package is assuming that you're doing an all grain recipe and you have a rough idea for what your usual boil off is in your boil kettle. No top off water is usually necessary with this style of brewing. But, you're doing a kit and using makeup water after the boil to get to your final volume.

This is fine and here's how i'd do it:

Add the amount recommended for your final batch size (say five gallons) and don't worry about adding it to your makeup water. The reason is, when your wort boils, it's just the H2O that's boiling off and not the salts and minerals that you've put into the water. Those stay behind in your remaining liquid and wort. So, when you top off with water, it will dilute back to the concentration where it should be for five gallons.

I would also top off with distilled water to avoid adding additional minerals back to the final batch.

Thank you for easing my mind! It's a partial extract recipe I found on here and since I wanting to move to all grain my LBS recommended to start learning about treating water too. Our water is extremely soft here with no chlorine smells (did the glass and stir and tumble and sniff test) so I don't think I'm gonna have to do much of anything but add salts and minerals. Of course, with every little endeavor I've set out researching ITS NEVER THAT EASY wit brewing! There's always something to learn and try to perfect!

I don't know what's in 'Burton Salts' (but I can guess). Buy some gypsum and calcium chloride from the LHBS and use those following the recommendations of the Primer. Then step off from there to really learn something about water chemistry.

ajdelange said:
I don't know what's in 'Burton Salts' (but I can guess). Buy some gypsum and calcium chloride from the LHBS and use those following the recommendations of the Primer. Then step off from there to really learn something about water chemistry.

Can you define the "following the recommendations of the primer." What is the primer? Sorry but I am pretty inexperienced with only 4 brews completed so far!

Back