Would 9lbs of 2-row malt be enough to conver the starch of 5lbs rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldy81

Reaction score
I have searched and came across some formulas for calculating starch-to-sugar converting power of malts, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before I go ahead as some suggested to use 6-row malt for situations like mine

Basically The plan is to use Brown starchy short-grain Rice. When cooked, they have this incredible nutty aroma and interested in how it will turn out in beer.

Also, would a typical grain mill at a LHBS be capable of grinding raw brown rice? Raw brown rice is quite hard and I am concerned about that.

I understand that the rice has to be cooked.. I plan to grind them first, then cook them and insert them into mash.

Current grain bill is as following (I have yet to decide on yeast and hops)

9lbs 2-row Pale malt
5lbs Brown sticky Short-grain Rice

I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

The unit for diastic conversion power is Lintner units. You need at least 35-40 / pound of grain. 2 row has 140 Lintner/ lb, so you could use 2 lbs rice for every 1 lb 2 row if you really wanted to!

9 lbs 2 row, 5 lbs rice, no problem.

I think as little as 2 lbs would be sufficient. You probably don't need to grind the rice at the LHBS; their mill is probably set too wide to do much to rice anyway. You can put it in a blender, or just hope it gets sufficiently mushy during cooking. I would add a bunch of rice hulls to your mash.

Back