Adding spices to ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMottram

Reaction score
I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of my first amber ale from a recipe kit and wanted to add some holiday spices to it. I don't want it to be overpowering, so was thinking of doing 2 cinnamon sticks and 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder for last 5 minutes of the boil.

Does this sound good? Any recommendations?

I've got a spiced german ale I'm drinking now and i did the following and consider the flavor to be good but almost too much. These spices go a LONG way. better to under do it than over and not be able to drink your brew.

Next batch will be with 1 clove the rest will stay the same.

half a cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
1 tsp of Ginger
1/2 tsp of nutmeg

All thrown in at the end of the boil around the 5 minute mark or maybe even when I pulled it off the flame, can't remember but it was definitly at the end of the boil.

That's about the right amount to use of each. When making ginger beer I usually use fresh, peeled ginger that I'll slice thin and put in the last 10 minutes of the boil. For yours I'd say about 1/2-1oz of fresh so it doesn't become overpowering.

You may also want to add some whole nutmeg for additional holiday spicing. One that is slightly crushed will add just enough flavor. Or, if you want to use ground, maybe 1/4-1/2tsp depending on how strong you want it. Ground allspice in the same quantity is also a nice addition.

Thanks, guys. Was considering adding some fresh grated nutmeg to the mix, but as I said, don't want the spicing to be too prominent. Maybe I'll add just a 1/4 tsp of it.

Back