Would you partial/mini-mash this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, folks.

I've made 4 extract + specialty grain recipes so far, and they've all involved just steeping the specialty grains. I'm going to be making the recipe below this weekend, and it has a more substantial grain bill than I've used in the past. Would this be a good time to try a mini-mash? Or would it not make enough of a difference to the quality of this beer? I don't have any specialized sparging equipment...I'd be using dutch ovens, colanders, etc.

Thanks,

CB

NOSFERATU'S RETURN

5 gallons, extract/specialty grains

Mark diSimone
Brew Masters Ltd.
Rockville, Md.

"This beer is silky smooth and has a great chocolate character. Its 10 percent alcohol is totally hidden. It is ranked number one in our 18-year history."

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. gold unhopped malt extract
2 lbs. orange blossom honey
1 lb. chocolate malt
1 lb. pale chocolate malt
1 lb. Vienna malt
0.5 lb. cara-pils malt
0.5 lb. crystal malt, 56° Lovibond
1 lb. Munich malt
2 oz. Perle hops (8% alpha acid), for 20 min.
1 oz. crystal hops (3.2% alpha acid), for finishing
Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood Ale)

Step by Step:

Steep grains in 2 gals. of 170° F water for 30 minutes. Remove grains. Add malt and honey to the grain water. Bring to a boil. Add Perle hops and boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 oz. crystal hops. Add to fermenter. Add water to 5 gals. When temperature is below 80° F, pitch yeast. Ferment for seven to 10 days. Place in secondary for seven to 10 days. Prime with corn sugar. Bottle at 1.014. Let age three to four weeks.

You only have 2 of the malts (1.5 lbs carapils and vienna) that could be mashed to extract sugars from. The rest can be in the mash but do not have any enzomatic action to contribute very much sugars and therefore only contribute flavor. Yes you could minimash and get some sugar from it if you want to do it. It should be a very tasty brew no matter which way you handle it. I personally prefer all grain as you have all the sugars fresh flavors from all the mashed grains. You really do not need to transfer to a secondary fermenter for ales, just leave it in the primary 14 days and you can bottle. :)

Back