mashing and sparging a partial extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy48

Reaction score
Hello,
My first beer was an AG on a brand new setup and everything went wrong... My second beer I just did in one kettle, the white house honey porter, partial extract. I would like to do a few partial extract beers but use the techniques I will be using for AG brews in order to get practice.

Is there any reason why I can't just mash 1 hour and then sparge 30 minutes instead of steeping in a Musslin bag for 30 minutes? My guess is that something is going to change... anyone know what?

One other thing: if I wanted to use more grain and less LME can I just plug my recipe into BS 2.0 and adjust the two figures to arrive at the same gravity but with different inputs?

Sorry for the ignorant questions!

If you were to add base grains to the equasion,then you'd mash for an hour to get conversion. Otherwise,steeping crystal malts for 30 minutes is plenty. With base grains added to crystal,etc & some extract,you'd have partial mash.

Back