Anyone use Wyeast 2112 Ca. Lager yeast in Cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
I'm wanting to do something for the family (yeah, they still drink swill-which is fine by me, i don't judge), I did some searching around, but haven't found anyone with a review of this combination:

Wyeast 2112 Ca. Lager in a Cream ale. Thinking of brewing this one now in the fall so I can fake lager it in the basement when it gets colder.

I have found that the desirable lager traits (that I like at least) are present in Anchor Steam, albeit, much hoppier.

Go for it, that would be a pretty common steam beer.

I did two batches using WLP 810 (San Fran Lager) earlier this year. Fermented at 64. One I bottled after fermenting, the other I left in a cooler, swapping out bottles of ice daily, for 10 days. That kept the temp in the low-mid 40's.

The one that was "lagered" was excellent and the other was fine as well (not quite as good, but that probably had more to do with a less efficient mash than the fermenting process). I washed the yeast and will make another batch in a week or two.

Sounds good. Im glad you replied, after searching around, I just couldn't find anyone that had a review. What hops did you use? Id like to mash a little high for body, without turning off the bmc drinkers.

Classic steam beers use Northern Brewer. Much to my consternation, I can't remember what I used. I used some New Zealand Rakau for the first one, and forgot what the second one was. I wrote Northern Brewer into the recipe but I know that's not it.

I wouldn't worry about mashing high to add body, take advantage of the lager yeast's ability to dry it out. I added a little Victory malt to add some breadiness. I kept the color a little below style, maybe 8 SRM when cali common is supposed to start at 10. Hops at about 40 IBU made a nice beer that was hoppy but not overly bitter. I mashed at 150.

It's almost like concentrated BMC -- not too heavy, much more flavorful.

Latest posts

Back