Hops in pots breaking ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoZiT

Reaction score
This was my first year growing hops and I'm looking forward to my second year. I grew in planters/pots because I wasn't sure where I'd locate everything next year.

I trimmed back the bines recently and when I went to move the pots, I realized the roots broke through and rooted themselves into the soil below.

I'm excited for the larger yield of second-year hops. What would be the result of trimming the roots at the bottom of the pots? I'd assume the crown in the pot is strong enough to survive the winter, but even better: can I get two healthy crowns for each of these?-- one in the pot and one below? If so, that would be awesome!

You'll be fine to sever the roots that have grown through the bottom ~ you're probably gonna have to do it sooner or later. You could dig a small hole in the ground to put the pot in for the Winter and cover it with mulch. The Earth will help moderate any temperature swings better than just leaving it on the surface. The only way you could get two crowns would be to remove the crown from the pot and find some way to divide it as that's where the buds that will produce the new vines next year are located. The roots that have grown through the bottom are just that, roots. They have no vegetative buds so they can't grow any new vines for you. You'll be fine.

I'm not so worried about the crown in the pot itself. I was just hoping I could get a second crown out of the roots in the soil below, with a nice second-year level of root growth. I guess not. Thank you.

I'll probably try hacking them tonight and store them on a hard surface of some sort. Ambient temperature gets under 0 Celsius maybe 2-3 days total in the winter here. I've already laid nice layer of cut hop leaves to insulate and protect them. I'll probably feed it some more organic matter before the cold really sets in. Thanks again.

I live where things are expensive. I found pots for half price last spring. I've since found better ones for next year.

The ones I used were only about a foot deep but very wide. I plan on replanting them in the spring, and trimming rhizomes for propagation and trading for other types.

Back