Unique Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I've been kicking around a couple of ideas for different brews. One would involve using green tea, I know there are a couple of commercial examples that use it but haven't tried them. I think green tea would work well with a lighter beer.

Another idea is flaxseed, I was thinking it might add a distinctive nutty flavor either as a steeped item or boiling it in the wort.

Have any of you tried either of these in a homebrew, and if so what results have you had?

:mug:

Barry Bonds got indited by a grand jury for drinking what he thought was flaxseed beer i think ;)

I've used chamomile tea in a ginger beer. All I did was steep the tea along with the specialty grains and ginger root. You could take any Mild recipe and steep green tea. I'd start with an oz. max. unless you want the green tea flavor to be dominate.

Didn't think too much of the oil in flaxseed, but seeing as how they sell flaxseed oil supplements, it is most likely a no go.

As for the green tea, I plan on trying it eventually, but I think I am going to get a couple of 3 gal better bottles first, just to experiment with small batches.
:mug:

Back