Oatmeal Stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racedog

Reaction score
5 Gallon all grain - 1st try at my own recipe
What do you think?

Ingredient Name Amount

Crisp Maris Otter 8 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 1 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 80 12 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 8 oz
Kent Goldings, UK Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins
Irish Moss
SAFALE S-04

All within guidelines for an Oatmeal Stout.

I like a thicker mouthfeel for my oatmeal stout hence the little extra flaked oats (just under 15%).

Thanks for your responses.

needs more dark malt to be a stout. looks closer to an oatmeal brown, maybe a porter

I guess it depends on what you're aiming for. That looks like a nice beer to me, but to be a stout you should have some roasted barley in there.

My stout is 5.0 gallons and includes 8 oz Chocolate Malt and 8 oz Roasted barley and 4 oz of Carafa III to make it truly black at 40 SRM color. I also use 1 lb of flaked oats in the mash. OG 1.060 and I shoot for hop bitterness of around 38 ibu's...still on the sweet side.

You are on the right track though, looking good!

OK.... I added 1/4# roasted Barley, cut Maris Otter to 7#, added .5# flaked barley.

Beer Smith results:

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 34.7 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 31.1 SRM

All within (mostly in the middle) range of style range. I didn't want the bite of a regular stout (say....a Guinness) so I didn't want to ratchet up the roasted barley any more. I had to drop the Maris 1# to keep it under 5.9%. I thought about kicking up the caramel 80 or the Chocolate malt to push up SRM, but that jacked up the ABV too much.

When I picked it up from Brewmasters, I asked what they thought and was told that it looks good. I'll be brewing it up Saturday and I will add a picture or 2 then to show how dark it came out (I picked up a Sam Smith Oat stout to crack open when we are done as a comparison)

Thanks for the help :tank:

5 Gallon all grain - 1st try at my own recipe
What do you think?

Ingredient Name Amount

Crisp Maris Otter 8 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 1 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 80 12 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 8 oz
Kent Goldings, UK Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins
Irish Moss
SAFALE S-04

All within guidelines for an Oatmeal Stout.

I like a thicker mouthfeel for my oatmeal stout hence the little extra flaked oats (just under 15%).

Thanks for your responses.

I like de-bitterized black malt to add color to my stouts personally... very nice stuff. 8oz chocolate malt and 8 oz de-bitterized black = perfect

Back