Gluten Free Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
Anyone know any good gluten free Christmas beer recipes? I'd like to brew one for a friend and can't seem to find one in the recipe section.

Anything dark and malty with some sort of seasonal nut and mild hop would hit it for me

I've been doing some research on options. Have you ever done anything with chestnuts or spruce? Both seem quintessentially Christmas-y to me and are items I could probably work with fairly easily.

I've been threatening to brew a spruce beer for a while now but have been too hung up on experimenting with GF malts that all my crazy beer ideas have been shelved. Suffice to say, some medium-roasted chestnuts, a sorghum-brown rice syrup base, and maybe a bit of dark candi syrup plus some spruce and a hop like Northern Brewer or Santiam would probably be pretty good. Just be careful with the spruce and don't go overboard.

What would you consider going over board? Since I have never used spruce before and do not want it to be anything more than just a minor flavor note, what would you suggest as a good amount in a 5 gallon batch?

Back