adding tea leaves to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id say 6-8 ounces in the secondary for two weeks (or the primary if you dont do a secondary) if you want the tea to be as strong as a normal cup of tea. youll just have to experiment with it depending on the flavor you want.

I've used earl grey, but I add mine just after the boil. I let the wort cool to about 180-190F, then steep 2oz for 5 minutes. That gives a pretty potent tea character. Obviously, I get more flavor extraction adding it to hot wort, but my suspicion is that 6-8oz would be too much, even cold.

that totally depends on the type of tea you use though. 6 oz of earl grey is going to have a much stronger flavor than 6oz of green or white tea. also you get the same flavor extraction from cold brewing tea, you just dont get the extraction of tannins, phenols and astringints (bitter flavors) and some say you extract less caffine and antioxidants (i havent seen any studies to support this). however with cold brewing your brew time increases from 2-3 minutes to 8-10 hours or more.

Yeah, the tannin extraction bit me pretty hard on my first attempt with tea leaves; I added them during the last 3 minutes of the boil. The beer had a very puckery bitterness. Letting the wort get down under 200F before adding the leaves makes a world of difference. I've yet to try cold brewing the tea simply because I've had such fantastic results with flameout additions once I got the technique down. My TeaSB is the most popular of my brews amongst my friends by a long shot.

Latest posts

Back