I (Too) found wild hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant-robison

Reaction score
Even here in Oklahoma, where as far as i know no one has ever in their craziest dreams thought of producing hops. I'm a student at the University of Tulsa and I checked in the Herbarium to see if there were any collections and sure enough there were. It took me about an hour before i found this stand of decent size. I plan on harvesting as much as i can when they are ready and titrate the Alpha Acid content (anyone can do this without a lab, although as a new graduate student i have access to stuff that makes it easier).

Then i'll use them in a beer! As a late addition, but in grotesque quantities. I'll be keeping everyone posted.

20130923_114843.jpg

20130923_114851.jpg

20130923_114858.jpg

20130923_114918.jpg

Your pictures aren't too clear but it looks like what you found may be Humulus Japonicus. Check it out on the web as I'd hate to see you go through the effort on a lost cause. Could be wrong, been there before though~

Yeah I thought the flowers looked funny... At first i thought they were just immature cones of H.lupulus, but now i suspect that they are indeed H. japonicus.

Latest posts

Back