Lost instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp_Donkey

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've only brewed a couple of batches so I'm brand new to this so I'm not going to attempt a kit from memory.
Does anyone have a set of instructions for this kit? I couldnt google it because there wasnt a company name on it.
Here's a pic.....

And any tips on how to improve the process would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
:tank:

hmm. most canned kits are pretty much the same....

Bring 2 liters of water to a boil..... remove from heat once boiling...

add the can of extract and any other fermentables that are going into the wort like DME or corn sugar.

Stir until they are all disolved.

bring the wort to a boil, but only for a minute

Let the wort cool a bit. pour it into the fermenter.

Top the fermenter up to 5 gallons with cold water. Stir the fermenter vigorously for several minutes to make sure it is all mixed thoroughly.

when it is between 70 and 80 F pitch the yeast into the fermenter and stir. Add the lid to the fementer and the airlock.

don't forget to sanitize!

Well, I don't know exactly how much corn sugar would be reccomended. I've only done it with DME and I usually add about 3 lbs. I would think it'd be about the same for corn sugar, but sugar doesn't do much to help the body of the brew. It just adds abv.

Someone correct me if I've made any mistakes in my directions!

What style beer is it?
Its a Canadian Ale.
I actually just found the instructions.
Let me know what you guys think.

1.Bring 2.25 litres(0.5 imp gal) of water to a boil. Pour malt extract from can into plastic container. Use boiling water to remove all malt extract from can, adding to plastic container. Add any remaining boiling water to plastic container.
2. For a normal bodied beer add 5 cups(1kg) of corn sugar.
3. Briskly stir in the mixture in the plastic conatainer making sure that all solids have completely dissolved
4. Add 20.25 litres(4.5 Imp. Gal) of cold water for the 22.5 litre kits. The final temperature of the mixture should be 65/75 degrees F(18-24 degrees C)
5. Sprinkle the dried brewing yeast into the barrel and stir.
6.Snap lid on and attach fermentation lock which has been completely filled half-way with water. Allow to ferment for 5-10 days at 65/75 degrees F.
Bottling the Beer
1. Put half a teaspoon of sugar onto each sterilised bottle. Do not exceed this amount. Syphon the beer from the container into the bottles taking care not to disturb the sediment, leaving a space of at least 2 inches from the top.
2. Cap bottles with crown caps and store at room temp for 10 days.
3. Store in a cool area for 6-8 weeks

If by using a carboy you mean doing a secondary, it's really up to you. I like to do it so I can start a new batch in my fermenting bucket. Others prefer a long (3 weeks or more) primary and then go directly to bottling.

As to when, I always wait at least 10 days before racking into secondary carboy and I always check the gravity before I transfer to make sure it's finished. If it isn't done by then I would wait another 5 days and check again. The secondary is for clearing and aging - it's better to have all fermentation finished in the primary where all the yeast can finish it's job and clean up after itself. If you transfer too early you risk a stuck fermentation or incomplete attenuation.

Back