hallertau flavor/nose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i've been using a lot of hallertau in my last few pseudo lagers (one fermented with us-05 and one fermented with notty) and am getting a very forward floral and fruity aroma and flavor. i assumed it was the 'peachy' ester that us-05 can produce at low temps, but it's present in the notty version as well. i guess i wasn't expecting such a noticeable contribution from them. does anyone else experience the almost fruityness of hallertau? also, i bought a pound of these from hopsdirect, so i don't know which exact variety of hallertau they are. just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this. and maybe it's common, i'm still getting acquainted with hop varieties.

I've never really gotten any fruitiness from Hallertau, just floral, grassy, earthy flavor & aroma. I've only ever used the german variety, not that familiar if the U.S. version has fruit notes to it.

Should be a little spicy too.

I don't think any of the noble hops are supposed to come across as fruity. You might get some floral notes. But it should be more mild than aggressive.

How low was your fermentation temp?

For me, US-06 at about 60-62*F comes across as a pretty neutral yeast. You get the "yeast" aroma, but hardly any fruit at all.

Notty comes across with a bit more "bread" aroma than US-05.

yeah, i can't quite figure out what the cause of this flavor is. i fermented the us-05 at 58 and the notty at 56-58. i can't fully comment on how the notty version turned out yet (it's carbing) but i could definitely taste the same fruitiness in it. and i switched to pilsner malt for the notty and used more saaz. but still that same frutiness is present... maybe i'm interpreting the floral notes as fruit, i don't know.

Latest posts

Back