Messed up grain order... need help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pederzani

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been lurking here for a while, learned a lot of things, and now I need some help....

So.... I had spent a lot of time coming up with a grain bill for a nice porter and was really excited about getting all my grains from AHS (as you know, they allow for specific amounts up to 1 oz and put everything in a nice bag for you....)

The problem is I didn't realize that the default was 1 lb and that I was adding amount to this quantity.

Now I have one big bag of

4 lbs Pale malt (51.9%)
1 lb 6 oz Chocolate malt (14.3%)
1 lb 8 oz Crystal 80L malt (15.6%)
1 lb 12 oz Brown malt (18.2%)

I was thinking to add 1 lbs (can't add more won't fit in mash tun) of Pale malt to balance a little bit the grain bill.

I'm going to RDWHAHB, but.... Do you think that there is too much specialty grain? An easy way to fix this?

btw, this is a 2.5 gal batch, that's what the equipment allows me to brew!

Thank you all!!

Jean-Noel

Maybe the cosmos are telling you to upgrade to a 5 gallon equipment setup. Just double your pale malt and you'll be fine.

If it's already all mixed up in one bag, I would get another 4 lbs of pale malt, mix it all together, then cut it in half. You'll have 2 batches.

Maybe the cosmos are telling you to upgrade to a 5 gallon equipment setup. Just double your pale malt and you'll be fine.

If it's already all mixed up in one bag, I would get another 4 lbs of pale malt, mix it all together, then cut it in half. You'll have 2 batches.

i'm with diaz. add 2-row. shake it up really good, weigh it, then cook up 1/2 of it

Back