Question about GF Stout and possible bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
So let me ask you guys this. I want to try a partial mash and brew a GF Stout. Half grains/half extract. If I were to lets say toast 5 lbs of malted :confused:grains and use D180 syrup and even caramelize 1 lb of Sorghum extract. Will this be way too bitter to enjoy? What can I use to offset some of the bitterness? For example which hops to use in a recipe like this? I also heard that Black strap molasses enhances the Sorghum twang. Maybe it's that person's opinion.

Your bitterness will come from your hops but not your fermentables. What size batch is this? Are you mashing then adding extract to the boil or steeping your grains? For a 5 gallon you will definitely need more sugars. Where is your malt coming from? I would say get a recipe made for your base then we can talk hops and yeast. Brewtoad won't give you as much as beersmith for creating recipes but it's free so start there.

I was thinking this recipe.
-2.5 lbs malted millet
-2.5 lbs malted buckwheat
-3 lbs of BRS
-3 lbs of Sorghum
-1 lb d-190 or d-90 syrup
mashing grains then take out grains bring to boil for extracts. Using malted GF grains from Colorado Malting. I will be toasting grains

If you carmalize the sorghum syrup you will make the metallic off flavor of the sorghum really come through strong the sorghum needs to go in with 20 min or less boil to prevent that from being strong.

Thx Tex. In your opinion, do you think that this recipe will be bitter? Or should I be ok? What do you think about the Molasses comment. How about carmalizing 1 lb of the brs?

Hey I posted a recipe in the thread titled Any Gluten Free Stout or porter..... This recipe came out like a pale ale on bitterness I plan to add more hops next time but my daughter says I'm getting close to beers she had while she was in England before going GF the metallic taste is almost non existent and the addition of more hops should help a great deal. Oh read the notes on what I did with the grains.

Back