New Stone lead brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recall reading about this maybe on this forum--but I'm not sure. At any rate, I found it extremely interesting that he was part of the Bare Knuckle Stout release by Anheuser Busch. It is only brewed at the NH facility, and sure enough this guy was the assistant brewer there.
I've always thought that beer was pretty good--better than the crap watery Guinness in the cans that we have here.
The dude's pic looks pretty cool too! :) (EDIT: pic removed, it wasn't him)

Stone Brewing Company Liberates One of Anheuser-Busch's Finest

Mitch Steele, Stone's New Head Brewer

As recently posted on joesixpack.net, Stone Brewing Company (Escondido, CA) has hired Mitch Steele, Assistant Brewmaster for Anheuser-Busch's Merrimack, NH facility, as their new Head Brewer. Unless you persistently watched Greg Koch's vBlog, attended this past Craft Brewers Conference in Seattle, or were otherwise in the know ... it slipped under the beer radar.

Yes, the brewery that touts most arrogantly that "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" has just hired (liberated?) someone who's spent much of his career brewing for one of the largest "fizzy yellow beer" makers on planet Earth. Ironic, perhaps, but this is quite possibly one of the smartest hires we've seen within the craft beer world and perhaps another milestone in the craft brewing industry's ongoing maturity into big business.

How so?

665-1.jpg
For starters, I find that many beer geeks seem to forget that Stone is first and foremost a business, and their fast paced growth, high demand, and recent brewery expansion, means more production. To meet all of this they need people onboard who understand what it takes to brew at the next level and have the skills to take Stone's beers and vision to that level. Mitch has well over 10 years of mega-production brewing experience at A-B, during which time he spent three years working as their New Products Brewmaster for the American Originals and Michelob Specialty beer lines. While working at the A-B Merrimack facility, he's had a role in the Bare Knuckle Stout release and the recent specialty beers brewed for originalbeers.com under the A-B Specialty Brewing Group.

To boot, anyone who knows him knows that his true passion is craft beer. He actually started his career in the craft-brewing world at San Andreas Brewing Co. in Hollister, CA, is an avid homebrewer, and has acted as the New England District President for the Master Brewers Association of the Americas (MBAA). Mitch is also highly regarded within the craft beer world and has proven plenty of times that he can brew just as good, if not better, than any other craft brewer.

His hire by Stone simply makes sense, on many levels, and it's clearly a major win-win for Stone, Mitch and the craft beer industry.

Anyone know where Lee Chase is headed? I'm too lazy to read the blog.

I hope Steele keeps up the good work. Stone seems like one of the few breweries that's actually making headway in the market, and doing it on a foundation of good beer rather than hype.

Yeah, I got it after I posted this. Interesting. Seems like some pretty mundane work after being brewmaster at an up-and-comer like Stone. But, who really knows what's going on?

One thing they neglect to mention in that article is that Mitch Steele has one of those really cool, Superhero's secret identity, proactive names. Mr. Mitch Steele. That by itself is cool. Mr. Mitch Steele, head brewer Stone Brewing. Damn.

Maybe I should change my name, Rock Howiter or Blade Magnum or Dirk Gently or Kegerator Perry.

Latest posts

Back