recipe critique please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninmules

Reaction score
I have wrote a recipe using a few ingredients that I have never used before. If there is anything here that looks like a problem, please let me know. I am not very familiar with New Zealand hops and I have never used a Belgian yeast ...

10# 2-row
2# Vienna
1/2 # Wheat

1oz Super Alpha. 60 min
1/2 oz Pacific Jade. 15 min
1 oz Pacific Jade. 5 min

1214 Belgian Abbey yeast

Recipe (so far) looks good.

What is the mash temp and fermentation schedule? Personally, I think that recipe is crying out for some simple sugars.

I was planning on a 60 min mash @ 152*. Primary for 14 days at 65* possibly dry hop for 7 days after tasting.

The recipe looks good, but I have a few quick questions before I offer too much opinion/advice:

What are you hoping for a flavor profile from this?
Do you want any of the esters from the belgian yeast to carry through?
Do you want it to finish dry, or leave some residual sweetness?

Well, I'm not too sure, really. I guess I'm looking for a crisp, dry brew. I usually mash my ipas around 150-152* and have had good luck lately.

Like I said, I have never used a Belgian yeast before. The ferment temp is based on the temp in my basement. I do not have a fermentation chamber.

All I know about the hops I am using is what I have read. I was hoping that they flavors from the yeast would compliment them nicely.

I think you're going to be happy with the result. The recipe looks good, although i freely admit that I haven't ever brewed with these hops. Based on my reading on the flavor profiles though, you will probably get a little bit of a conflicting nose. The Pacific Jade citrusy notes with the clove notes that are typical of this belgian yeast might be an odd combination.

The last thing I'll say is this, the 1214 yeast is pretty picky and might under perform if you can't ferment near the upper 60's. If you can't hit those temps it may not fully attenuate leaving some sweetness.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I'm not saying you should, but you might consider trying a recipe with hops with which you are familiar when trying a (rather flamboyant) new yeast. How will you know which flavors the yeast is bringing? Conversely, fermenting with a neutral yeast when trying new hops that carry pretty unusual organoleptic descriptors, on the first go round anyway, will really streamline the knowledge-banking process of how to best use those hops in the future.

Back