Fermentation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cozmo

Reaction score
I am in the prosses of my first brew. I just changed my brew (American Light) over from my platic buckett to my glass container. I have been VERY carefull as far as being sanitized. After siphoning the brew from the buckett to the glass there is a build up of about an inch of muck on the bottom of my plastic bucket. It doesnt seem rite. Havent read or seen it on any vidios I have watched. Can anyone fill me in on if this is ok or not and if not what did I do wrong?.

That muck is trub and it's a combination of the spent yeast and hops that have been fermenting away, no worries..... BTW there may be more at the bottom of your secondary as well when done so don't worry about that either

That's the yeast cake. When you pitch the yeast they reproduce like mad for the first several days of fermentation. When they have no more sugar to consume they go dormant and settle on the bottom along with any other grain or hop matter leftover. It should be perfectly normal.

O boy how happy I am to hear that! I was bummed! It looked ok a little dark compaired to the youtube video's I had seen but not super bad. Just that muck. Never saw that in any vid's. It also had a strong smell too. strong enough that if you took to big of a wiff it would burn a bit. Is that normal too? I hope I don't sound to stupid here but like I said this is my first time and I am really being cautious.

Man I will tell you what. I can't thank you guys enough. I thought my last two weeks were a waste. I am so look ing forward to tasting my first batch and I had just about written it off. The next 4 weeks cant go fast enough!

Back