Inoculating Slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chode

Reaction score
I am just getting started with yeast culturing and my question is, if I am taking a yeast sample straight from a smack pack or vial, will I need to plate it first or are those strains pure enought to transfer straight to a slant for long term storage?

There is no doubt that they are pure enough. Working out of a kitchen lab, it is unlikely you or I would ever be able to replicate the packaging sanitation systems that Wyeast and White Labs have.

That said, whether to culture straight from the vial/smackpack or to build a starter first represents a bit of a tradeoff. Culturing straight from the vial wins hands down for culture purity; building a starter first gives the yeast a chance to build up glycogen and trehalose reserves that may or may not have been depleted since it was packaged. If the yeast package is old, or if it has been mistreated at all, I would definitely build a starter. Otherwise, it's a judgement call...I tend to go straight from the package if I trust the place I bought it from.

I always go straight from the package out of simplicity. Saves me the hassle of making a starter. IMO it is easier to have to reculture a few months earlier than having to make a starter.

I am just getting started with yeast culturing and my question is, if I am taking a yeast sample straight from a smack pack or vial, will I need to plate it first or are those strains pure enought to transfer straight to a slant for long term storage?

Unlike dry yeast the strains in the liquid package are 100% pure. You are paying high dollar for them because they are high quality.

Back