Why is this addicting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostmind

Reaction score
First of all, I'm not a huge beer drinker. I've been known to go several months at a time without a beer... maybe just a bottle of wine here and there.

But it's pretty fun, I'm already on batch #2 before batch #1 has carbonated in the bottles even... and worse yet I'm contemplating batch #3!

WTH!?

I think I may need to start giving beer away. And maybe buy a second primary... and talk the wife into a beer fridge... and...

Do I have a problem?

Haha, that is so very much like my situation. My years of drinking lots of beer have come and gone. Now I just have maybe one or two a week but I absolutely love to brew! My friends love it also!

I love to cook and I think that's a big factor here for me - giant bubbling stock pot is just pure fun.

I really enjoy beer, but I just don't drink much anymore - unless I'm out camping or something (I haven't been camping in 3 years). University was a dozen years past... I can't remember the last time I had more than 3 beers in an evening.

There's just so many types of beer to brew! I think I am going to have a very hard time deciding on batch #3. I've got a hefeweizen and a nut brown going right now. Wonder if I can find something in between those two to brew for next weekend...

Your problem isnt nearly as bad as ours... the SWMBO and i started to brew 4 weeks ago..

We bottled our 3rd batch this week, and have 2 batches in secondarys, and will be brewing 2 more this weekend. And have only opened 3 bottles to check on carb levels.

That will put 7 batches in the pipeline, 8 if you count the Apfel.

And we have already thought about the next couple of batches... may take next weekend off, seeing as we doubled up last sunday, and will again today and tomorrow, but we will keep rolling along.

I'm kind of with everyone else here. I enjoy a few beers a week, but really love learning about the process and crafting good beers. That's why I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches. It allows me to simplify equipment, but more importantly, I can brew as often as I want to and not worry about being overrun by beer bottles. By the time I drink some myself and give few to friends the batch is gone in no time, and my next batch is usually ready to go.

hmm a blonde does sound good whatsitgoodfor.

Holycrepe... holy crap! That's a lot of booze to be making in just a month, you definitely got me beat! At least you and your wife can get in on it together. My wife can't stand the smell in the house once I add the hops to the boil. She has to leave (aka - excuse to go shopping). My math tells me that by my fourth batch I will actually come out ahead of buying commercial beers, so maybe I need to get rolling on another batch!

trouble brewing - I had considered doing smaller batches and following the all grain brew in a bag tutorial because it just looks fun, but I have a hard time sourcing an appropriate bag here in Canada.

It's like a virus, there is no cure. I was turned on to homebrew late January this year, and I have already brewed 75 gallons and have 3 kits sitting here to brew another 15 gallons this weekend. I already built a 6 keg keezer and 6 tap coffin, a counterflow chiller, and have 6 carboys. Plus I've began gathering parts for a single tier AG setup, and I picked up a couple of old fridges to start building a 6 carboy fermentation chamber. Like I said, it's a virus.

And if you need somewhere to send that "extra" beer, just let me know. ;)

I'm kind of with everyone else here. I enjoy a few beers a week, but really love learning about the process and crafting good beers. That's why I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches. It allows me to simplify equipment, but more importantly, I can brew as often as I want to and not worry about being overrun by beer bottles. By the time I drink some myself and give few to friends the batch is gone in no time, and my next batch is usually ready to go.

+1 on smaller batches. :)

I probably drink a little too much beer, but in the end, I enjoy making it as much as I do drinking it. If I quit drinking, I don't know that I would want to quit brewing. In part, its the mad-scientist/creation side of it that I really enjoy. The process of turning some water, a bag of grains, and some hops into beer is just exciting to me. SOO many possibilities...

It is pretty ridiculous.

I brewed a few little tiny 1 gallon batches and was unimpressed, and then jumped right into all grain and kegging without doing a single intermediate bottled 5gal extract batch.

It's gone beautifully so far. I've got fermentation temp control already and a kegerator and I'm already planning on going all electric before winter hits. I'll probably have an electric HLT before then, even.

hehe it is nutso!

I'm just looking to build a fermentation chamber and then I'll be pushing out smaller 2.5g batches I think. We'll see!

It is pretty ridiculous.

I brewed a few little tiny 1 gallon batches and was unimpressed, and then jumped right into all grain and kegging without doing a single intermediate bottled 5gal extract batch.

It's gone beautifully so far. I've got fermentation temp control already and a kegerator and I'm already planning on going all electric before winter hits. I'll probably have an electric HLT before then, even.

Bottling 5 gallons is a bee-yotch. You're glad you missed it.

Then again, when the 3 gal batch turns out great, it sucks to think you could have had 2 more gallons of it... ;)

Yah... I'm already finding myself drinking one or two a night lately! My wine supply is starting to back up... but the homebrew is really good!

i started this journey at the end of march this year when SWMBO & the kids bought me a beginners kit for my birthday. my first brew was a generic lager (extract) from the LHBS, I've now got my fifth brew in...the lager has been drunk & was quite tasty by the end of two months in bottles. i'm currently drinking my Amber Ale (also extract, but with steeped hop addition.) the Wheat Beer (my brother in law reckons is like Hoegaarden) was an experiment in dry hopping is still conditioning in bottles. the fourth, a brown ale was a bit of a leap into partial mashing, & is bottled - was an interesting but hairy experience! but turned out ok.:rockin:
the latest in the fermenter is an Irish red ale (steeped grain & extract) should be good.
anyway, to address the topic question: i have no idea why this is so addicting, but i think the yeast has a "consciousness" & it becomes something of a symbiotic relationship...i have the deepest respect & admiration for my little yeasties!
i dream about beer, i love to drink beer & i love brewing beer!
i have a huge collection of recipes for the future which is constantly growing as i also like to spend a lot of time at Dan Murphy's buying my highly scholarly "research"!:D
up next is a dopplebock & some porters & stouts...the list continues!
btw, SWMBO wants her kitchen back!:eek:
oh & did i mention that i LOVE beer!

Back