Little bug in my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEBEAR34

Reaction score
I was just weighing some home grown hops and when i took the out of the bowl I noticed that there were very small bugs crawling around the bowl. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I was going to finish a beer with them today but now i think its a bad idea.

I had that when I picked my Cascades too early last year. I did not use them because they were green tasting. The bugs were secondary to the taste.

I always get a few bugs crawling around the bucket when I pick. They'll scatter when you dry.

The bigger problem was ever so slightly alluded to by samc; you have harvested too early. He called it "green" but it's also described as grassy. Don't worry! You can still use what you've picked. Dry them, weigh them, and plan a beer where they can be added somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes left in the boil. Don't expect them to contribute a ton of flavor or aroma because of the time you've harvested but DEFINATELY throw them in!

I know this opinion is pretty narrrow-minded, but even my freakish early stunted third-year centennial is not yet ready to harvest here in SW lower MI. Believe me it smells good and I'd love to use it, but it will only get better with age. The cones are plump, full of lupulin, and pretty papery and springy. They have most of the signs but they're still pretty green in color and need to show some browning before i'll harvest. Despite weather, and I know we've had some crazy good growing weather this year, I know that the harvest around here doesn't start until mid-august. Folks down south are just starting, but tough as it is around here we have to wait for a while.

Latest posts

Back