Does anything except AA% matter in a boiling hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmorrison

Reaction score
I have read that hops lose all aroma after 2 minutes of boiling, and all flavor after ~20-30 minutes of boiling. Why then do recipes call for specific types of hops to be added at 60 minutes? Is there something about Fuggles that lends them to boiling in English styles, or something about Hallertau that makes them the best for Bavarian beers? Why should anything except AA content matter at that point?

*Well, after posting, the site suggested several threads that answered this question for me.

Usually to stay in terms with BJCP are why nobles are used with bavarian brews and fuggls and EKG are with english brews. But if its your own creation then it shouldn't matter unless you want to brew towards winning a homebrew contest.

Aroma and flavour boil off gradually, so it's not really true that all aroma will be gone at two minutes and all flavour at 30. Depending on hop type, some aroma might be left even after a 60 minute boil -- I know it takes more than that to rid Northern Brewer of its minty yuckiness.

In addition to that, there are obvious differences in the type of bitterness provided by different hops. High cohumulone levels seem to be an indicator of a harsher bittering, for instance.

I agree that hop bitterness is not just plain bitterness,its flavor and its bittering tastes effects the character of the beer. Ive added enough of the wrong hop of a certain style of beer to tell the difference. I like sticking to the style guidelines or the hop descriptions.Just throwing whatever in isnt working well for me on my own recipes. Sticking to the bittering flavor and aroma suggestions is a good idea untill you gain experience with different hops.

Back