Wyeast 1272 vs 1332

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I am doing a spicy holiday ale. I am trying to decide on yeast. Is there a big difference between Wyeast 1272 vs 1332. I like the high flocculation and higher fermentation temp of the 1332. I don't really want any citrus/fruit esters. Any input would be great.

I have had nothing but success with 1332, although a lot of people on these boards don't like this yeast at all. Common complaints are that it is too fruity or makes a harsh and tart tasting beer. I think this has more to do with high fermentation temps and/or a low pitch rate than the yeast itself. If you have good control over your fermentation, it makes clean, lightly fruity beer, with great flocculation (the best of any american yeast I've come across), and it lets the malt/hops come through very well. I think 1332 is much better than 1275, but 1275 is probably the safer bet. I will say I think the wyeast specs are wrong saying it can be fermented at higher temps. I would go no more than 64F.

The 1332 has more more of an English profile in my experience. Fruity, flocculant and leaves a residual sweetness. The 1272 is much cleaner, American and much more attenuative.

I would argue that the Wyeast specs are wrong in calling 1332 an American yeast. If you believe Mr. Malty (I have no reason not to), it from Hale's brewery in Seattle, but it came there by way of the Gales brewery, formerly of Horndean, Hampshire, UK. The Youtube tour of Hale's seems to back up the theory that the yeast is of English origin. So you have a yeast that originated in England, that floccs and attenuates like an English yeast, that ferments at English temps, and that gives off English flavor, but they profile it as an American yeast. (Compare to White Lab's profile for Pacific Ale WLP041, origin unknown but possibly Redhook, which they have no problem specifying for English style ale.) Apparently, you can get clean fermentation with it at lower temps. But if you want a safe bet American yeast, I would go with the 1272.

Thanks, looks like I will use 1272. Any reccomendations on the fermenation temp?

Back