Kegerator temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshyTheKid

Reaction score
So my kegerator is using a wine cooler. The temp can only go down to 40*. I've had it set at 40* for the past few days and the coldest I draw out of the tap is 49*. Is this too warm for a kegerator? I haven't tried drinking it at that temp since one keg is a stout that hasn't ageed to my liking yet and the other is keg cleaner.

Is there a certain temp you should serve different beers at or is it a preference thing? I'm just wondering if I need to get a controller and bypass the kegerators control board.

You should get a controller, but it all depends on your taste preference. Some people like ice cold beer no matter what it is. I prefer warmer beer around 45 degrees, but it depends what I'm drinking. If I'm having a pilsner or wheat beer, I like it to be ice cold. If it's a stout, porter, or belgians, I like to drink them at around 50.

I prefer to keep my beers @ high 30's. Start drinking them at about 40F and as they sit and warm up to about 50 I get different flavor & aroma. I cringe when I give someone a glass of IIPA @ 40F and they gulp it down - a waste in my opinion. Stouts & Porters which I don't drink much of are best above 50F for me. Plisners, etc. are best left for those that can appreciate them as I have been hop spoiled.

Back