E-HLT dry fire pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Transferring strike water to MLT, walked away without turning off my E-HLT element... After strike water filled MLT, we heard a loud pop, saw a bright flash and then heard some sizzling noise...

This is what was left of my element:
DSC_0469.jpg

Be careful kids... We almost lost a few eyebrows that day...

:mug:

Sorry to see.

You need a float switch, which reminds me that I have to install mine one of these days. They are cheap from McMaster.

Transferring strike water to MLT, walked away without turning off my E-HLT element... After strike water filled MLT, we heard a loud pop, saw a bright flash and then heard some sizzling noise...

Youch. Thanks for posting. I've done about 50 batches on my electric system without one of these failures, but I know it's waiting for me. ;)

I did a similar thing, but I accidently plugged in my HLT plug instead of my pond pump for chilling. When I walked over to see why the pond wasnt running, I heard the pop and saw the smoke.

Thanks for sharing!

Note to self...when testing the new E-rig I'm building, make sure there's water in the kettle before firing up the element. ;)

I might have to think about a float switch too - I could see myself doing that.

Sorry for your loss, but this is good to actually see what happens, so thanks for posting a pic!

aww... you let the magic electric smoke out... good luck getting it back in there ;)

at least electric elements arent too expensive

It actually "melted" to the point that it just sagged onto my thermometer stem... Not a tragedy, but still a little unnerving none the less...

The new element (3800w vs 4500w) is already in production...

I have heard the ULWD elements don't burn up, but I don't think that is something I want to try...

Poor Nealf is still a little gun shy of walking next to my rig... :)

Is that an orange silicone o-ring between the inside keg wall and the lock nut? Do you have another one between the element hex and the outside of the keg?

Yeah... The locknut and o-ring were from Bargain Fittings and I used the o-ring that came with the element on the outside...

I ordered the same nut/o-ring from Bargainfittings but haven't mounted the elements yet. Do you have a gang box on the outside of the keggle (Kal's design)? I'm just wondering if the element threads are long enough to use both an o-ring on the inside and the outside of the keggle and go through the gang box cover.
I like the idea of using both o-rings but don't know if it's possible.

I ordered the same nut/o-ring from Bargainfittings but haven't mounted the elements yet. Do you have a gang box on the outside of the keggle (Kal's design)? I'm just wondering if the element threads are long enough to use both an o-ring on the inside and the outside of the keggle and go through the gang box cover.
I like the idea of using both o-rings but don't know if it's possible.
Here is mine:
EHLT-Wiring.jpg

Just a element thru with a locknut inside...

Hey, at least I ran the ground to the keg skirt... LOL

Those are the heat shrink type crimps and I did end up shrink wrapping everything to try to keep it all nice and dry... Also have a GCFI on that circuit at the box...

The new element wiring is run directly into the coupler with the epoxy in it... Will take some pics of the new one when it is complete...

Latest posts

Back