Sake - Steaming rice at 8,200'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonoLoco

Reaction score
Following the method detailed on the Taylor-Made AK site. It says to steam the rice for 45 minutes -- at my altitude that results in a firm, almost crunchy texture. Wondering how long to steam the rice --- can anyone describe the texture of the rice when it is ready to pull out of the steamer?

Thanks,
Mark

You need to steam it until cooked, that is all... You run water over it to rinse it it'll the water draining off of it is clear, then steam to cooked.

You need to steam it until cooked, that is all... You run water over it to rinse it it'll the water draining off of it is clear, then steam to cooked.

"Cooked" as in something that would be good to eat? I steamed for 65 minutes and it was still far chewier than I would want to have for dinner. it did lose the crunch, though.

Yes, cooked until it is something you would want to eat... You need to draw out the starches (sugars).

Thanks.

Do you know if it's normal for the Moto to be smelling like ammonia on the second day? Slightly concerned...

Just looked at the ingredients of the yest nutrient that I added to the moto -- that's probably where the ammonia is coming from.

Back