Hops in Shady Yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I have a yard that is shaded from the east by my house and from the west by sycamore and maple trees. I like the idea of growing hops. Are they like roses in that they need direct sunlight? Are there varieties that are more shade tolerant?

I had mine on my deck that only gets a couple hours of direct sunlight each day. They did fine. I have a fuggles plant that doesn't like the Georgia heat so it fared especially well in the shade. Keep in mind, year one is about the roots. You may even be better off with the shade keeping the bines from stealing all the nutrients. Unfortunately, just before flowering, mine got bit by fuzzy aphids and I was dumb and didn't fertilize them all season. Keep an eye on bugs and keep them well fed and watered and you should be good excepting that you are probably 10-15 degrees higher in latitude than I am.

fwiw, I have 12 plants in a ~70 foot row where the ends are partially shaded over the course of a typical day, and the plants in between those shaded zones have definitely produced more.

Unless you're in a zone where frying plants is an issue, the more sun the better...

Cheers!

Back