How precise does the priming sugar measurement need to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck911

Reaction score
Hi all!

Most recipes seem to call for 5 oz. priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer.

My buddy and I brewed our first batch a few weeks ago and due to a cooling miscalculation, the batch ended up slightly under 5 1/2 gallons. After everything was said and done, I figure the bottling bucket had 5 1/3 gallons of beer, which we added 5 oz. of priming sugar to. So, the beer has less priming sugar than the recipe said it should.

Then, we bottled with a new bottling wand which was one of the "thicker" wands, creating slightly more headspace than a usual beer.

Will the two of these mistakes lead to under-carbed beer?

By the way, we refrigerated and cracked a six day old bottle tonight. The beer was carbed enough to drink, though just barely, and it had zero head. The bottles have been stored in a house at the mid to upper 60's.

(.......and they tasted GREAT!)

So this isn't a "my beer is flat" thread - I'm reading the bottling sticky and know enough not to ask that at least for another week or two :mug: :p

But we are curious about our two mistakes and if long term this will impact the batch.

thanks all,

--Duck911

Headspace shouldnt be an issue if the level is somwhere in the neck of the bottle

One gram per litre does not make a huge difference in carbonation(might be noticable)
And your not even close to that inaccurate

being off by 1/3 of a gallon on a 5 gallon batch isn't going to have much of an effect. this is really is a case of RDWHAHB.

same thing with a little extra headspace. obviously depends on how much "extra" we're taking about here but unless you're leaving 4 times the headspace there, you'll be fine.

Back